MCT Mentor Network
This information is for homeschoolers. For schools, see the MCT Mentor Network for Schools.
The Michael Clay Thompson language arts materials are now available as an online platform called the MCT Mentor Network. They have been envisioned and developed by experienced teachers and technology experts who have a passion for making the MCT materials truly a curriculum for the 21st century—a curriculum that provides instructors and students with the guidance and feedback they need while maintaining the rigor of the materials.
Each book can work on its own as a course, or it can be integrated into a larger course of study for individuals or groups of students. All of the materials provide rich opportunities for children to think deeply about language, grammar, and writing through a variety of learning activities.
Ideal for any homeschool setting, MCT Mentor Network courses provide personalized mentorship for homeschooled children, whether as individuals or in cooperatives. These online courses can be used in settings where the student and the instructor work from different locations; boundary lines and brick-and-mortar limitations are removed.
The MCT Mentor Network focuses on individualized student instruction through immediate feedback and open-ended thinking activities. It provides a variety of learning activities for students to build skills, think deeply, and connect ideas. In addition, it allows students to participate in ongoing social dialogue through student collaboration in online discussions and activities.
An online seat may be purchased with or without the printed textbooks.
The online seats are available with instructors. An instructor-led course is perfect for small groups without a dedicated on-site instructor. The instructors will interact with the students regularly to monitor student progress. Among other supports, they will set up a learning and activity completion schedule for the students, provide student choice for a variety of skill-based and open-ended learning options, respond to student questions and provide resources as needed, offer feedback and positive encouragement for student performance, provide a framework for student discussion and monitor discussion boards, assess student performance, and provide final evaluation. The Mentor Network instructors are committed to meeting each student at the appropriate level of challenge and rigor to get the most out of the MCT curriculum materials.
Benefits of the MCT Mentor Network:
- Students have greater access to rigorous, self-paced, and personalized learning.
- Instructors and students receive immediate feedback on formative and summative assessments.
- Instructors can use materials with individual students, small groups, and advanced or heterogeneous classes.
- Parents and homeschool co-ops have an integrated scope and sequence to use in elementary, middle, and high school.
- The materials can improve student performance on local, state, and national assessments.
- The materials provide rigor that meets state and national standards and enriches and extends learning beyond those standards.
- Students prepare for college and career in online or hybrid settings.
- It is accessible on any internet-connected device without purchasing any additional software.
Highlights of the MCT Mentor Network Grammar Strand:
The grammar texts have been made interactive and accessible online through the MCT Mentor Network. This fun and engaging approach to grammar instruction allows children to explore, practice, and create as they learn and apply grammar concepts at any level.
- Interactive grammar and word activities to allow children to learn and practice concepts
- Skill-based activities and higher-level thinking options for individual and group response
- Embedded instruction in the learning activities
- Additional interactive activities not in the print texts
- Cumulative grammar exercises and self-assessment with immediate feedback
- Instructor resources that provide course and content guidance
Highlights of the MCT Mentor Network Vocabulary Strand:
Like the print vocabulary books, the MCT Mentor Network embeds hundreds of formative and summative learning opportunities around stems and academic vocabulary. This approach allows for personal choice and engagement as children learn, use, and study language in a variety of ways. The MCT Mentor Network includes a variety of higher-level thinking questions that allow for open-ended student learning.
- Embedded flashcard and learning activities for stems and words
- Interactive word and sentence activities
- Individual and collaborative discussion opportunities about stems, words, language, writing, and nonfiction texts
- Analogies, classic words, and other word relationship activities with immediate feedback
- Regular review and cumulative stem and vocabulary list tests with immediate feedback
- Projects for students to synthesize learning through original thinking, open-ended creation, and individual design
Highlights of the MCT Mentor Network Practice Strand:
Practice sentences for four-level analysis with immediate feedback:
- A guided learning option that provides a structured framework for practicing four-level analysis
- An open-ended learning option where students practice four-level analysis
- Open-ended prompts for student analysis concerning the writer’s craft and meaning
- A writer’s workshop open-ended prompt that asks students to share their experiences, practice grammar, explore ideas, write poetry, ponder philosophy, and think creatively
Grammar IRL (In Real Life) learning activities:
- 50 fiction sentences in the four-level analysis format with immediate feedback
- 50 nonfiction sentences in the four-level analysis format with immediate feedback
- A Grammar IRL synthesis project focused on personal writing and grammar analysis
- A Grammar IRL synthesis project focused on language and personal experience
Purchase Options:There are several options for the MCT Mentor Network:
- An online seat only; text is accessed digitally
- An online seat and print book
- Instructor-led online course, available as an online seat only or as an online seat with print book
For questions about the MCT Mentor Network and how it works, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions can be answered online or in a scheduled conversation.